Before you update, it is best practice to:
- Always check our update notes
- Always backup the files and the database, in case something goes wrong with the server you could use the backup to revert to the previous state. For more information on how to backup check the official documentation.
- Do not keep older copies of the theme inside WordPress themes folder
- Reset the cache after you update
- Update the plugins. The theme required and recommended plugins are included in the theme package inside the ../Newspaper-tf/plugins folder. Please read the plugin update guide.
Preparation – How to download the update files from ThemeForest.net:
- Log into your ThemeForest account, in your Downloads tab look for the Newspaper theme
- Click the Download button next to it and choose to download the Installable WordPress Theme (the WordPress file)
- After downloading the files, you must decide if you want to install the update via FTP, via WordPress or update automatically via Envato WordPress Toolkit. For directions on all methods, please continue reading below.
A. Update the theme via WordPress
- Step 1 – Deactivate the current “Newspaper” theme from the Appearance > Themes section by simply activating a different theme. Once you activate a different theme, delete the Newspaper theme. Don’t worry, your content will not be lost.
- Step 2 – Get the “Newspaper.zip” file from your new Themeforest download (Installable WordPress file only). If you downloaded the “All Files & Documentation” from Themeforest, then you need to unzip the archive file you received, the Newspaper.zip will be inside it.
- Step 3 – Go to Appearance > Themes, choose Add New Theme, Upload the “Newspaper.zip” and click on the “Install Now” button.
- Step 4 – After your upload is finished choose Activate the theme.
- Step 5 – Update the plugins.
B. Update the theme via FTP
- Step 1 – Place your site in maintenance mode, for this, you could use a plugin (ex. Ultimate Maintenance Mode, WP Maintenance Mode, … etc.)
- Step 2 – Go to “your site/wp-content/themes” folder location and backup your Newspaper theme folder by saving it to your computer, or you can choose to simply delete it. Your content will not be lost, but please note that if you have modifications to the theme code they will be lost. You have to reapply them after the update is over.
- Step 3 – Connect to your FTP account using Filezilla.
- Step 4 – Inside Filezilla navigate to the WordPress theme directory “your site/wp-content/themes”.
- Step 5 – Retrieve the Newspaper.zip file from your new ThemeForest download and extract the file to get the updated Newspaper theme folder.
- Step 6 – Drag and drop the new “Newspaper” theme folder into “your site/wp-content/themes” and overwrite the existing files.
- Step 7 – Update the plugins.
C. Update the theme automatically
As the old Envato Toolkit has become deprecated, it was replaced with a new plugin called Envato Market. Follow these steps to automatically update your theme.
- Step 1 – Download the Envato WordPress plugin from here: http://envato.github.io/wp-envato-market/
- Step 2 – Upload and activate the Envato WordPress plugin (.zip file that you downloaded).
Step 3 – Create your personal Token – To create a token, access the provided link on the plugin settings page and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Step 4 – Insert your Envato token key (not the token name) in the designated field.
Step 5 – Add a new item – Add your theme to the list of purchased items. You will need the personal token again and the Envato item ID number. These are 5489609 for Newspaper and 9512331 for Newsmag.
If everything is properly set up to this point and you save your changes, a new tab called themes will appear in the plugin settings.
- Step 6 – Update your theme – Press the update theme button and wait for the update to finish.
- Step 7 – Update the plugins.
Updating from Newspaper 4:
We recommend that you do a clean update, meaning that we recommend that you delete the old version of the theme before uploading the new one. If you do a ftp update over the existing theme there may be issues. Please make sure that you delete the following files from Newspaper 4:
Please update Visual Composer and Social Counter when updating from V4
Updating from Newspaper 4: Please run the import script if you want to update from an older version of newspaper but only after you backed up your settings. After running the import script it may be impossible to roll back to the older version of the theme without a backup of the database!
The import script does the following operations:
- Imports the old settings to the new theme
- Renames all the shortcodes from your pages to the new names
- Imports all the sidebars
- Renames all the widgets from the sidebars to the new names