Why should you update your Newspaper theme? The template becomes more secure and brings fresh functionality, new flexible tools, we fix bugs, and the code is improved. If you want your website to meet the latest web requirements and safety measures, always keep your WordPress website updated. Install every latest version of both WordPress CMS and Newspaper theme to keep your site protected. We test the new versions in-house and we also collaborate with trustworthy beta-testers that help to get the most out of our products.
For more information about the theme’s versions, please visit the Newspaper changelog page.
Before Updating your Newspaper Theme:
- We recommend using an automatic backup plugin like UpdraftPLus. If you prefer doing the backup manually, you can follow the WordPress guide.
- If you’re using the Newspaper Child Theme, please make sure to take a child theme backup, as well.
- Never rename the theme’s folder, because it might alter your website functionality.
Learn how to update Newspaper theme to the newest version. There are two possible ways to update Newspaper:
- Automatically (recommended)
- via FTP
Update Newspaper Theme Automatically
The automatic update system makes the entire update process much simpler. We have introduced the Automatic Theme Update feature in 10.3.1 version. Starting with Newspaper 10.3.2, you can automatically update your theme to the latest version available. Now, every time a theme update is released, you’re at one click away from the new version.
When a Newspaper Theme update is available, you’ll see a blue notification bullet in the Dashboard > Newspaper > Updates section.
All you have to do is click on the Updates tab from the Newspaper Theme Panel and hit the Install Update button. The system downloads the latest version from the tagDiv servers and automatically updates the theme files and the native plugins.
Besides the message that notifies you a new update is available, in Newspaper > Updates tab, you can also check out the theme versions availability with Newspaper Time Machine. For example, if you’ve installed the theme version 11.2 and you want to go back to 11, you can now select the theme version from the dropdown list and click the Install version button.
Update the theme via file transfer protocol (FTP)
You first need to place your website in maintenance mode. Use a plugin to do this, for example, Ultimate Maintenance Mode, WP Maintenance Mode, or others.
You can use any type of file manager at your disposal: your host cPanel, an FTP client ,or a file manager plugin. They all provide the same result. Copy, paste ,and delete files.
- Access the file manager and open the Themes folder located in your site’s name/wp-content/themes and backup your Newspaper Theme folder by saving it somewhere on your computer or by creating a .zip archive of the theme (rename it to newspaper_backup.zip for example).
- After you make a back-up of your site, please delete the theme.
- Download the newest version of the Newspaper Theme from ThemeForest.
- Unzip the main Newspaper-tf archive if you chose to download the full theme package. You will find the main install-able zip file called Newspaper.zip inside of the Newspaper-tf.zip file.
- Upload the Newspaper.zip file to your “/wp-content/themes” folder.
- Now Extract the “Newspaper.zip” file.
After the theme’s update is completed, we recommend you to reset all-related caching systems such as the plugin cache, server, browser, as well as theme’s cache.